Wednesday, August 15, 2007

YouTube

Okay, so I visited YouTube and was completely overwhelmed by the choices. You could play on that site forever! Most of it looked pretty awful, especially the warped news, politics and entertainment. Some of it was just plain sicko! That said, I did find my daughter Anne on an indoor drumline Rhythm X video which she participated in while at college... (I think she posted it on her blog.) I also found something very entertaining: the old television series Get Smart with Don Adams. As a library tool, well, there is that thing about accuracy.... YouTube could be a great teaching tool breaking down that four walls and a classroom thing, but can education be entertaining and accurate at the same time. And, any snapshot of life on YouTube is just that, a snapshot....a quick and simple look at something. And, lots of what we really need in life is more than just a snapshot.

Podcasts always make me think of those awful Al Queda videos of hostages being forced to say things they would never, ever say just to stay alive. PodcastAlley.com even has that kind of picture on its homepage tonight! My younger daughter Sarah is a vegan and has been listening to Vegan Freak Radio for years. It's really "out there" and I am not at all sure that is a good thing.... Hardcore History sounded fun and needs more investigation. I would love to hear and see History Detectives have a podcast!

No comments: